The web professions – we have often talked about them – are very interesting because they concern an area that is growing at a dizzying pace. By now, the cake of online advertising investments has exceeded that of traditional media such as newspapers, television, radio. You can see it after all from the success of applications and sites like Netflix, Facebook, Google, Amazon: all of which make web marketing their strong point when it comes to advertising a product.
Web marketing is different from traditional marketing, first of all for the means of spreading the advertising message. Anyone who thinks that web marketing is easier and affordable for everyone should seriously reconsider, because the dynamic with which an advertising message is created, today in 2017, is profoundly different from that of 10 years, when the web was still already very developed.
In traditional advertising
We start from the assumption that wherever there is audience and a vast audience that can be analyzed and collected, studied and segmented, an advertising message can be proposed. Think of the classic sign in a busy street or the well-decorated window during the holidays: this is traditional marketing. People pass in front of the shops and enter attracted by offers or distinctive signs.
More in depth it happens that a business wants to segment its offer, trying to convey its advertising message to a specific segment of the population, for example children. In this case you will have to choose the right channels to motivate parents to spend. On TV during the time slot provided for boys (which tends to be uniform precisely because of advertising needs) the commercials almost always concern toys and video games. It’s not a casuality. And the same applies to advertising on the radio, in magazines or on other media. In essence, once the public is intercepted, the message best suited to the purpose must be packaged.
In the beginning, web marketing was not like this: there was a period in which banner advertising was very wild and made navigation difficult. Even the search engines were not so precise and therefore the users, searching for information, often ended up on unmarked sites that did nothing but try to extort the consent or a sale to the person in charge.
This modus operandi has generated a lot of distrust in consumers, so that the main web actors have run for cover. Today, in order to work, advertising on the web needs valid content, the most immediate consequence is that web marketing must necessarily start from content.
In essence: those who want to work in web marketing must be able to do one or more of these things
- produce quality content (text, video, images, tables, data, analysis, infographics)
- understand how social networking sites work (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blogs)
- analyze the performance of the contents (statistical analysis files, performance of individual pages, study of user behavior)
- graphically create the elements to persuade the user (such as landing pages, call to action, squeeze page, responsive sites)
- learn the principles of inbound marketing (with the three phases of the sales funnel)
- learn about the main paid advertising platforms (Google AdWords, Facebook ADS, the operation of banners and text ads, affiliate programs)
- advanced knowledge of the principles of SEO (search engine optimization, link building, Google algorithms, how to create optimized content).
- know how email marketing works
- develop apps for Android or iOS
- Expert in applications Google, Facebook and other platforms
The jobs in web marketing therefore concern different professional figures, who often work in teams to ensure maximum results. A social media manager must be able to manage social accounts, but it cannot be limited to mere interaction. He must know how to produce content or he must be able to receive them from the copywriter who wrote a post on the company blog.
The professions of internet marketing
It can be profitable when it comes to senior positions, with experience, but often the agencies require junior figures to start forming a professional within. In Italy we often work with outsourced collaborators on a VAT number to save costs. The professions related to the above disciplines are:
- expert web designer in modern sites of considerable impact, able to know the operation mechanism of a landing page.
- expert in Analytics (data mining)
- search engine expert (search engine expert) or seo specialist
- social media manager
- digital photographer
- graphic for infographics, banners, images of high emotional impact
- app developer
To carry out some of these professions, it is necessary to refine one’s own experience, take courses, perhaps a university-themed course (marketing / computer science / mathematics / arts and humanities). By learning and putting oneself to the test one can obtain great satisfactions, without forgetting that sacrifices are necessary at the beginning.